22 January, 2013

My new pet peeve

When I arrive at work I cross over a bridge from the upper campus and enter the Health Sciences building through two sets of doors.  The first takes you into a vestibule where you can go up or down stairs and the second takes you right into the building.  The right door is equipped with automatic opening devices for disabled people, but many able people tap on those plates so they don't have to actually open the door.  I am able bodied and I open my door myself.  However,  and this has happened more than once, someone behind me will hit the plate to open the door while I am walking towards it, causing me to nearly walk into the swinging door!  It makes me crazy!  It's dangerous as well, since I nearly got hit in mouth last time it happened.  Nearly.

I had a love long weekend.  The weather in Portland was absolutely perfect.  Yes, it was very cold, but also clear as a bell.  The hotel was right on the river and luckily an upgrade was in the stars and a river view.  The first room was on the top floor and from what I could see briefly it was a lovely room.  The reason I only had a brief look was someone was in the room!  Not actually physically there, but the bed was unmade, there was a briefcase on the floor and a bottle of wine on the table!   Thank goodness nobody was in there!  How embarrassing.  The front desk apologized all over themselves and a better room was offered.  Done!

Portland is a wonderful place to walk and so of course I walked and walked and walked and walked!  Cold and beautifully sunny.  Sunday was football.  It would have been nicer if the Seahawks had been playing, but it was fun all the same.  The train ride back home was uneventful.  I actually spent the entire ride reading, which was such a luxury.  On the way down on Friday evening the mountains were visible.  St. Helens was incredible.  I didn't notice much scenery yesterday and by the time we got into Washington the clouds were back.

It was so wonderful to get my doggie back.  We had a nice quiet evening.  She went straight for her chewy and after a good chew, went to sleep as I knew she would.  She's always very tired after a few days at the Doggie Resort.  I am so happy she likes being there.  I got lots of work done on that hat and tonight will finish it up.

And now it's back to work.  And it's cloudy and dark and I'm sleepy and wishing I had another long weekend.  But I'll have to wait for February for that.

No comments: