10 January, 2013

My poor soaked orchid

After finding my yellow orchid soaking in a pool of water - and I still don't know who did such a thing - I did my best to dry it out.  Also I put it on my desk where it would get some nice filtered light.  Unfortunately all of the new growth is brown and dead and I'm going to have to cut the stems back all the way.  Also, I lost three leaves.  I haven't given up hope yet.  If it stops shedding leaves it might yet come back.  On the other side of the coin, that inexpensive purple one I bought at Trader Joe's right after I moved into my new office is going great guns.  I have a new bloom and 4 buds just ready to burst open. 

I had some errands to run after I got home - in the pouring, icy cold rain I might add.  In fact, there was snow mixed with that rain.  It was a mess.  Thankfully I didn't have far to go.  I wanted to get cozy and do a little knitting.   I had worked on my lace blouse during noon knitting yesterday but I couldn't pick it up again last night.  Tink was feeling frisky and that project is one that takes concentration.  And oh my does it ever shed!  That angora yarn is gorgeous but it shows up on everything.  I wonder if I'll ever be able to wear this sweater.   So it was silly TV and nice, quiet time.  I stayed up way too late playing on my iPad.  I don't think I turned out the light before 10:30, which is late for me. But I feel fine today and I'm looking forward to my run at lunchtime.  My ankle is just fine.

This is the time of year when we have weeks and weeks of dark left and I get itchy feet.  I have a little three day weekend coming up later this month and I'm going to Portland on the train.  But I've got to get a March trip on my calendar soon or I'll go crazy.

My new apartment complex has an online presence, as do most these days, and each day we get an email with the previous 24 hours of comments and discussion.  I was surprised to read that there is a woman who finds the place way too noisy to be able to work at home.  She called the walls "paper thin" and complained about the gardeners blowing leaves in the morning.  Now I didn't hear a thing when I was home Tuesday.  Yes, I'm on the 4th floor which helps, but paper thin walls?  I hear the garbage trucks coming in to pick up the bins behind the clinic, but it hardly even registered.  This is a huge complex though with quite a few buildings and they are all different.  I guess I lucked out.

No comments: