03 January, 2013

When a favor isn't a favor

It almost feels wrong to rant about someone trying to do something nice ... but I can't help myself.  I have a gorgeous yellow orchid that had bloomed and when I moved there were no blooms on it but I always leave the stems for a few weeks to see where the new growth is going to come from, and then trim the stems at the appropriate place.  To my delight, there was new growth in several places.  Orchids only need to be watered every 2 to 4 weeks, depending on the size of the pot, etc.  As I was getting ready to go to California I took the orchid to the sink to moisten the roots and found it sitting in a puddle of water!!  And that means it had to have been sitting in that puddle since I moved into the apartment, which at that point was one week.  The only thing I can come up with is that one of the people who helped me move took it upon themselves to water my orchid!!  I drained it, of course, and hoped for the best.  But it looks like all of the new growth is dying now and I'll have to clip it back all the way.  grrrrr ..  The one I have at work is doing great and has a new bloom and five more big buds.  I was telling my sister this story while I was in California and she says she has a friend who has a few in her place of business - a Pilate's studio - and people are constantly watering her orchids.  Crazy.

I am listening to Tom Wolfe's latest book, Back to Blood, which is narrated by the actor, Lou Diamond Phillips.  He is mispronouncing words though and it's driving me crazy.  One of the main character names is Ghislaine, which he pronounces Jizz Lane.  Otherwise he's doing a good job.  Typical Tom Wolfe, but that's why we like him.

Today I will finally be able to run after a couple of weeks off.  It's going to hurt and it's terribly cold.  But I received a wonderful Christmas gift from my sister - a new running jacket with the long sleeves that have a thumb hole.  This is a very useful feature in this climate.  I'll be signing up for the February 9 Love 'em or Leave 'em race, which can be very very cold.

No comments: