18 September, 2014

I swear there was steam coming out of my ears!!

Nobody likes to lose their temper, especially not at work.  But I lost it yesterday for sure.  Lucky for me my boss seems to think it's especially hilarious when people make me angry.  Here's what happened - there is a young man who works in the Dean's Office as a receptionist.  His other job is to reconfigure the small group rooms that are used by first and second year medical school courses.  He needs to consult his spreadsheet and get to the rooms between sessions to open or close the dividers and move the tables around.  When I got the imaging faculty upstairs and set up in their rooms I could plainly see that the dividers had not been closed nor had the tables been moved to a classroom set up.  On top of that, two of the four projectors were not working, and that's a different department.  I called Classroom Services to get someone to come up to fix the projectors and then I called Sean, the person in charge of reconfiguring the rooms.  And instead of apologizing and saying he'd come right up, he started arguing with me that there were no small group sessions happening!  I said, "Don't argue with me Sean.  We can deal with your spreadsheet later.  Are you going to help me or not?" and what did he say?  He said no, that he didn't think he could help me right now!  Are you kidding me???  I asked him where the gadget was to close the walls and he said there might be one in the ICM office (an office on my floor).  Seriously?  By this time I was beside myself with anger.  I called the woman in charge of the spreadsheet, a lovely girl, and she said of course she could help and she ran right upstairs with the gadget and got the dividers closed.  She said Sean had disappeared.  I told her what he had said and that I was fed up with him.  She is going to report his conduct to the Dean.  I don't suppose he'll cross me again.  And I'm going to make sure he doesn't have any question about when my next small group sessions occur.  Little jerk.

When I got home I was in a state so I took a nice walk with Tink, then a calming shower, made a cocktail and watched football and knit.  In a couple of hours I was fine.  But it still makes me mad when I write about it. 

Tomorrow will be a long day.  I've got to stay late.  I am SO looking forward to my weekend.

No comments: