05 May, 2006

A couple of reviews

No knitting yesterday so today I'm going to do some reviews instead. Kate & I tried out a new restaurant in the neighborhood last night called "Hot Dish". It's in a spot that has had like a new restaurant every six months for the past couple of years. Before it started playing musical restaurants the building used to be the Santa Fe Cafe which was a hugely popular place. I could never figure out why they closed down. It was always packed. But they had a second location up by the Zoo and they closed the Ravenna one down. Since then it's been several different types of things but nothing has "taken". This one, the Hot Dish, is a homestyle place serving meatloaf and chicken & dumplings, etc. I had the meatloaf and it was decent. The drinks were a bit on the small side .... you know, when you order a Cosmo you expect to get it in a BIG martini glass. These were small. I hope this place stays around. Since it was only the second night it wasn't too busy and we met the owner and the cook and the bartender and the waiter -- all really nice. I give it a thumbs up.

Now I want to talk about the piece of crap book that I got a few days ago. There is a writer in Seattle that wrote a popular (at least among the knitting group) book called "The Shop on Blossom Street". I hadn't read it but I saw "A Good Yarn" at the store and picked it up, thinking it would be a good read. WRONG. It's terrible!! Awful!! A travesty! Written in the style of the most horrendous romance novels. yuck I'm going to throw it away!

The 5th of May - Cinco de Mayo - Got to have a margarita. I hope the weather stays nice so I can take Tink down to the Ravenna Ale House and have a drink outside. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

Hey there Shelley. I can only hope the resturant stays for you all to visit, always nice to get to know the owner and staff, gives it that "hometown" feel.

From only reading one entry, I am guessing you are up towards either Woodland Park Zoo/Greenlake or off 45th somewhere up there? I know the exit well when I drive up to Weaving Works. Hopefully not giving myself away, I'm in Washington State as well. Bonus for me this round, as I can spoil you better since I'm not shipping out of the country as I had the last two rounds I took part in.

Happy Sunday, Uggg to Monday. :)
You SP8