17 May, 2006

What a shame

We are having absolutely STUNNING weather and I am cooped up inside. If I go out I start sneezing, coughing, my eyes itch. The allergy season is just killing me this year. I did work on that shrug and I can probably finish it up today if I can stay awake. Really, the Benedryl I have been taking just knocks me out! I am just in a rotten mood. I can't run because I can't breath. I can't work in the yard because that just puts me over the edge. I am hoping, nay praying, that whatever it is that's triggering this will go away, and soon!

In between bouts of snoozing yesterday (I kind of feel narcoleptic!) I managed to reorganize my stash. I was going through it getting little bits and odds and ends to add to my goodie box for my secret pal. I got her the Knitted Flowers book and even though we all have little bits and bobs of things to make flowers with, I thought she might like something not from her own stash. Anyway, I took that opportunity to reorganize, putting all the crap yarn in one clear box and all the good yarn in another. I threw out (!) my oldest UFO, which is a raglan sleeved cardigan that I made with a recycled sweater and other odds and ends, all in greens and blues. It is stripped about every 3 inches, randomly. Well, can you imagine all the ends to weave in? I got the entire body done and part way down the first sleeve and then put it in a basket and haven't touched it for over a year. I looked at it and gave an honest thought to it - would I ever really finish it? Could I see myself weaving in all those ends? The answer was a resounding "NO!". It was therapy. I didn't feel bad chucking it.

And my "stash", such as it is, is miniscule compared to many. I have enough purple wool to make a sweater, still in the plastic, except for a start on that very complicated cabled shrug from IK a few issues ago. I started it but realized that I didn't like the reverse stockinette background and that I would go crazy if I tried to make the whole thing. So really that's the sole entire project worth of yarn I have. I have two balls of Koigu that I will use to make my next pair of socks and I've got recycled yellow and pink cashmere, that I intend to use for socks as well. The lovely mohair that my Secret Pal sent me is also another project, and I have three balls of Bouton d'Or Eskimo that I bought in Paris in February that I intend to use for a scarf and hat set for next winter. Other than that, it's just the odd skein left over from a project, or bits of skeins. I think I'll look at "Odd Ball Knitting" and see if there are any projects I would actually make from there. Now and again I make a flower and that's a nice way to use up a bit of yarn. I just can't make myself actually throw out something like 1/2 a skein of Cashmerino Super Chunky even though I have no idea what to use it for!

No comments: