27 July, 2006

A creature of habit

It is just frightening how much a creature of habit I am! Or is it that I just go through much of my life in autopilot? Whichever it is, because I altered my routine just the teensiest bit yesterday afternoon I forgot not only my riding gloves but my helmet as well! And this morning as I got to the bike rack I reached into my right jacket pocket for my keys to lock my bike and what did I find? My phone. Hmmmmmm ..... phone in keys pocket. Well then the keys must be on the phone pocket. Nope. Keys must be on the table because I somehow altered my routine while leaving this morning and got the keys/phone/out the door dance wrong. Oh ... AND I made super positive sure that the front door was locked when I left today. THAT I remember. *sigh* Let's not even talk about how I'm going to get into the house this afternoon. Maybe I can get Tink to open a window and toss me my keys. heh

So. Let's talk a little about body image, shall we? I came home from the concert last night (which shall be another topic of discussion) and since I had promised a picture of my finished "Something Red", thought I'd get that photo done and then sit and read the paper and have a drink. I took ... what, like 5 pictures. In each one I looked like a huge fat HOG!! I finally gave up and just read the paper and pouted until 11, fat fat fat fat echoing through my brain. This morning I was a little less insane and after I got my bike pants on I thought hmmmm, let's try another picture while the light is good. I had to put a cami on under the sweater so excuse the cleavage, but at least you can get a good look at the finished product. I like it a lot! The one side is really NOT that out of whack, it just got twisted up a bit before the picture was taken. Unfortunately I did miss a couple stitches at the bottom of it when I was picking up the stitches around the band and I didn't even notice it until it was all done. It's not quite so noticeable when it's pulled down even with the other one. But this body image thing .... why do we do that to ourselves? Or why is it that sometimes you'll (I'll) look in the mirror and see someone a whole lot bigger than I really am? It's wicked.

On to the concert. It was Dar Williams and Shawn Colvin at the Zoo. We (Kate, her daughter and her daughter's friend and myself) arrived in plenty of time and got pretty good seats. It's a scramble. People bring blankets and sand chairs and picnics and .... oh yes, and their children. Children under 12 are free. Woo flippin' hoo. I came to enjoy one of my favorite artists and for that privilege (and $30) had to put up with 3 hours of rude, self-absorbed, pseudo-Seattlehippie middle-aged, I-have-a-child-so-I'm-above-the-rules mommies!!! Sure sure .. I think it's lovely that people have a place that's child friendly where they can also enjoy some music but good heavens, rein those monsters in!! I was kicked in the head by some child being carried by some oblivious lout, stepped on by kids gone wild on a sugar high, had my view obstructed by the lesbian mommy couple who spent more time passing the child back and forth and eating and chatting and playing patty-cake than watching the concert!!! Arrughghghghg!!!! Crap! Never again will I go to Zootunes when the artist is a woman. Blues only. I think in that case one would be less likely to get the crowd like last night. I should have spent the whole concert in the beer garden but there were no seats in there, just tables and I didn't want to stand the whole concert. As it was, we didn't have sand chairs and so had to sit cross-legged or lounge on our elbows. My back is a bit sore today but I took some Naproxen so should be fine by gym time.

Well -- that's a bit rant-y isn't it? Ah well ....it's better that I get it out then get an ulcer!

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

Shelley...you've got to be kidding, right? You are fat like I am blond! No offense to blonds, but I'm a brunette through and through. Girlfriend, you're one of the most "work out" people I've met lately. Susie was just envious on the cleevage as you are looking fantastic.

Now for the keys...best of luck on getting in the house tonight!