24 July, 2006

Everyone is talking about the heat

It's the number one topic all around the country. My sister is in Valencia, California and Saturday her "official" temperature around 4 o'clock was 112. Yes. O.M.G.! Needless to say it's practically impossible to knit in this weather, which is annoying. Friday was the first of the really hot days here. It got to 97. I retreated to the basement where it stays cooler even though it gets morning sun. I finished up my "Something Red" cardigan and I am ecstatic that I successfully hid my wraps! It's got a lovely short-row collar done in ribbing and lo and behold, NO HOLES! I want to give the short row sock heels another go now that I believe I've discovered the secret. Well on second thought, maybe I'll just do a swatch with sock yarn and needles and make sure I've got it. It could be just too difficult to do properly on small needles.

Anyway .... As I said I decided not to make a buttonhole because the button is just too big so I washed the cardigan yesterday and this evening, hopefully, I will make an I-cord and put the button on and take pictures. My only regret is the color. It's steel gray. I'll most likely get lots of use out of it but it is rather drab.

I SO wanted to knit some more this weekend since I was just lazing around most of the time but it was too hot to hold the yarn. You know, your hands get moist and then your tension gets all screwed up. So I did a few rows on a shrug with the new ribbon yarn and it's going to be nice. Now I REALLY MUST finish the X-back top!! Somebody police me.

I had a wonderful time Saturday. My high school class has reunions, or semi-reunions. This year we had the first annual golf scramble and dinner. I skipped the golf and went instead to the outlet mall, since I rarely go that far north. Oh man ... that place is crazy! It was PACKED! But I did manage to do some serious damage at the Coach store before I headed back to the Club for the dinner. And I had a wonderful time hanging out with my old friends, despite the audacious question from one of the girls, "Hey, Shelley! Where'd you get those boobs?" Can you believe it!??! I guess I didn't have much of a chest when I was 17 but hey, who did? We grow, we mature, we work out .... Pretty funny.

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

It's going to cool down...slowly, but it will get cooler. Can't wait to see the Something Red Cardigan...with the awesome button!