13 July, 2006

Does accumulating stash make you feel guilty?

I got a little package yesterday - an order I had made of some stuff I bought a few weeks ago in a fit of .. well, not pique exactly but I was feeling in the need of some comforting so I got online and bought yarn. Well, makes sense to me! But anyway, I felt somewhat guilty. What the HECK is wrong with me?? I didn't NEED it. Where does this come from?!!? I really really need an enabler so I can establish a stash like I see people posting on their blogs. I'm a rank amateur, let me tell you. I have so many cool projects lined up from my SUPER secret pal that I am finding it rather easy not to succumb to the siren's song of a close-out or yarn sale, although I must confess to being rather compulsive about checking Elann. I think I have my yarn accumulating under control because every yarn purchase has a project attached to it - if not literally then in my mind. I don't buy yarn willy-nilly and then hope to find a project because I find it very uncomfortable when I'm knitting along and then think I won't have enough yarn to finish a project. It makes me crazy! That's not to say that I don't have a few balls of this or that picked up because they're pretty. I bought some stuff in Paris just because it was pretty and on sale. And the same for the stuff I got yesterday - ribbon that I intend to use for a shrug like I made K out of the Micro Cable. But I also got 3 balls of "Jam" - a mohair blend with bits of colors. Why did I get 3? Who knows.

Well I have to get serious about buckling down and getting some stuff finished. Again I didn't knit last night. I had a visit from G, the sailboat guy, at work yesterday wanting a tour of the campus. What the heck - it wasn't raining so I gave him a quick tour. Then changed into my bike clothes and we biked down to a little restaurant on the water to watch the boat go by. Well, no boats were going by because the weather was nasty. So then we biked to my place and after walking Tink he asked if he could take me to dinner. Are you kidding? Uh .. yeah! I drove him home so he wouldn't have to bike - it is pretty far for a bike ride. Then he picked me up and we went to U Village where there was a band playing outside the restaurant we were going to so we started outside, but then the clouds moved in and it got cold, so we moved inside. It was perfect because I had been craving a burger and I had a good one. Anyway, next thing you know it was 10 and no knitting was done. My cardigan was calling me but I was beat! I have 2 episodes of 'Lost' on the DVD recorder so I am hoping that tonight I can just veg out in the basement and watch TV and knit.

I will make goals and tempt myself so I can finish something this weekend.
  • When I finish the X-back Tank I can start the brown 'Green Gables' that my Secret Pal sent me.
  • When I finish the socks I can start my Knitty submission.
  • When I finish my 'Something Red' cardigan ... oooo, I guess I'll do the shrug I bought the ribbon yarn for.
That sounds reasonable. Dooable? We'll see.

2 comments:

Sherrill said...

Shelley...read Crazy Aunt Purls post today...got a kick out of it. Alot of it even pertained eight years ago before I met Kev.

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2006/07/the_july_2006_i.php

Have a great evening.

Sherrill said...

Wow...G visited? Hmmm, a bit of interest is showing. Good or bad thing? Dinner out was a nice touch. A band too? Ok...he's sounding adorable. But then again, dating is suppose to be fun, right?

Hope you get some knitting done tonight. Off to make dinner for the crew (only three tonight at the dinner table).