31 July, 2006

My Secret Pal kicks a@#!!



Well, she did it again! There was a lovely package waiting for me when I got home Friday afternoon and when I opened it I actually let out a little scream. Very unlike me. She got me the one book that I had been coveting and it is simply gorgeous! If you haven't had a chance to look through this I highly recommend it. It not only has the most wonderful designs but interesting stuff about designs and shapes found in nature. I already have one project picked out - the Ogee Tunic. I am definitely going to make that. Oh THANK YOU, Secret Pal!

This weekend was all about pleasuring myself (oh, get your mind out of the gutter!). Friday of course I just curled up in my comfy chair, poured myself a drink and read that lovely book cover to cover, then ordered pizza and started to watch a movie - "The Matador", which has Pierce Brosnan playing an assassin and it's pretty good. I didn't finish it that night, but had another go on Saturday.

After running errands on Saturday I worked on the ribbon shrug and finished up the movie and the pizza. I could live on pizza. Sadly I don't think it would be the healthiest move, but .... it is my guilty pleasure. The ribbon shrug is mindless knitting, perfect for movie watching, but the OTHER ribbon garment has been nagging me. I came to an interesting conclusion this weekend about finishing projects. [CAUTION: major rationalization ahead] Here's how I feel about it -- it's like when you're skiing and the weather turns crappy or the snow is slushy or the wind picks up or you can't see because of the clouds. Well that just sucks all the fun out of the day for me. I can't enjoy myself and then what's the point? Some people feel that if they've spent the money for the lift ticket then dammit they're going to ski no matter what! Not me because skiing is all about fun for me. And that's how I feel about knitting. It's enjoyment, pure and simple. I'm not saying that I enjoy every last second of a project. I pretty much hate seaming and weaving in ends is no picnic either. But I was thinking about the X-back top and realized that I was going to have to do some severe threatening of myself to get it done and that's not what it's about. I was, for example, going to make myself finish that top and THEN cast on for the Green Gables. But I was not feeling like it, so rather than not knit at all, I did cast on for the Green Gables and had a lovely Sunday afternoon knitting. And I was happy.

Sunday was a great day except for the fact that I tweaked my back when I was lifting the second 3-shelf bookcase up on top of the other. My yarn shelf looks good now and I've divided up all my needles (boy, I sure have a lot of dpns) and got the yarn off the bottom shelf, which is a definite playground for Tink. I knit on the Green Gables until I finished the lace portion. I'll take a picture when I get it on larger needles. The brown yarn (Elann Sonata) is just yummy. And then watched another movie (!), this one "Mrs. Henderson Presents" which was pretty cute but sappy ending. How long before "Desperate Housewives" start up again??

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

I believe Sunday was national "back tweaking" day. I pulled a few muscles in my lower back that I guess I need to use more than I thought. :) Grocery shopping this morning was not fun, walked around like I was a zombie.

Yeah for the green (brown) gable. I have enjoyed the brown cotton Sonata also. Good to hear you started on it.

Pending my back, bathroom cupboard cleaning and general food preparation for dinner, I will either get started on this weeks pressie or it will have to wait until I get back from WWU on Thursday to get started...but I'm sure you are busy enough.

Enjoy the coolness of the day...the house feels great.