23 October, 2006

How to change a simple 5K into a kind of triathlon

Sunday was the Dawg Dash - my very first 5K. The weather was just absolutely perfect! I overslept a bit but still got to Husky Stadium in plenty of time to register, let Mr. G take a few pictures, toss extra clothes into the car and change into the official T-shirt. We stretched on the field - I've never been on the football field before! Coooooool!! Then I got to my place between the 11 and 12 minutes per mile flag (along with the geezers, teenagers that were doing it for a lark, people with strollers and dogs ... you get the idea). The course was described as "challenging" and I'll second that! OMG The whole first 1 1/2 miles, with the exception of the little trot around the track, was uphill!! I had very carefully fueled myself so I wasn't running out of energy as much as just getting worn out, not being used to running that far uphill. Once we turned the corner I got my second wind and was able to finish strong. I could have made a bigger push but honestly I thought I was doing okay. I ran over the finish line when the clock said 36 minutes, but I know that I didn't pass the finish line right at 0 because I was in the middle of the pack. The official results aren't up yet but even if I ran it in 37 minutes I won't feel too bad because, as I said, it was a tough course. Now I can't wait to do another one!

So, the race was over and we headed back to the car so Mr. G could take some more pictures of the event (oh, he finished at like 29 minutes or less). As I got near the car I reached into my little handy pouch that is inside my running pants where I had stashed the car key. Empty. At some point during the race I guess it had flipped up and out came the key. We went back to the stadium to the Lost and Found, but none of the keys they had there were mine. Crap! No choice but to walk home. Off we went - another 5K and all uphill. Once we got home I got on my bike and rode back down to the Stadium to get the car. And once I got home and showered I hardly moved for the rest of the day. Who can blame me?

For a while I watched the Seahawks. Then the quarterback got hurt and the game went to hell. I turned it off when the Vikings fell on a fumble in the end zone and got yet another TD. Still don't know how badly Matt Hasselbeck is hurt. They said it's a knee sprain but he's having an MRI today so I imagine the news will be out this afternoon. crap crap crap! And the Huskies lost a heartbreaker in OT this weekend. All that football means that I had a fair amount of time for knitting. I am still toiling away on the sleeves of the Ogee Tunic. I expect to finish them off this week so I can start on the body.

No comments: