05 October, 2006

I cannot believe it

And you won't believe it either. I swear .... I just knew that the Ogee Tunic motif I was trying to knit around the sleeve couldn't be that difficult and that I was doing something wrong, but how wrong? I'll tell you how wrong, my friends. Bone head wrong!!! I took some waste yarn and needles to my knitting lunchtime yesterday and it was just myself and the one who knows the most. Lucky me. So I cast on and did a row of the pattern, then asked her for help going back on the WS, since I had no problem doing the first row. She took one look at the piece and said, "Well, your stitches are on backwards." Huh? Backwards you say? I was doing not one, but two things wrong. First of all ... and this is the part that I am so amazed by ... I was purling incorrectly. I don't know when it started, because when she showed me what I was doing wrong it felt so natural to do it correctly. I was putting the needle into the stitch right but I was bringing the yarn under the needle rather than over! Again, I have no idea when this aberrant behavior began. How could I just start purling wrong out of the blue?? Strange. So that is one thing I was doing wrong. The other was that I was doing my YOs wrong as well -- bring the yarn over the top of the needle rather than the other way. So once she showed me it was soooooo easy! I did a few rows and it looks just like it's supposed to look. Now I just can't wait to rip out the sleeves AGAIN and start over. But this time I know it's going to look right and it's going to be speedy because the pattern is super easy.

Last night after work was Pub Night. I kept trying to get away, starting at 8:30, because 1) it was the season premier of "Lost" and 2) I wanted to knit. Thank goodness I had set my DVR because I couldn't get out of there! Finally around 10 the party broke up, but then a friend walked me home. The place where we had our pub night has a coffee house and bakery above it and I stopped for a piece of their fabulous coconut cake, which I had been craving for oh about a month. So my chaperone and I shared the cake and had a glass of milk but he's SUCH a talker, I couldn't get him out of there until after 11, at which point it was too late to knit or watch TV. Tonight is my friend R's birthday dinner (after a surprise birthday lunch!) but since it's a family affair I should be home by 9. I hope to have a picture of an Ogee Tunic WIP tomorrow.

I have to start "training" for that 5K coming up. Not that I can't run 5K but how fast? That's the question. So yesterday I did that training thing where you increase your pace for a few minutes, then go back to your original pace. It nearly killed me. Tomorrow I'm going to go down to the track at lunchtime and run 3 miles and see how long it takes me. I really really REALLY don't want to be last! If I can just get myself up to a 10 minute mile I will be so happy. We'll see tomorrow. I kind of feel like I'm coming down with a cold though and that would be disaster. Can't run when you've got a cold.

No comments: