19 October, 2006

Progress

I got motivated yesterday evening and sat down and finished my first Crusoe. I decided the leg was high enough. I just bound off without ribbing because I wanted the top to curl. And I got the second one cast on, the toe done and a few rows of the foot. Of course, like the last couple of pairs of socks I've done, these are not going to be perfect matches. I keep experimenting with styles - top down, toe up, short row heel, turned heel ... but I've got it now. The main difference between these two socks is going to be the pattern on the top of the foot. On the first one I started the stranding pattern right away and found that the edge stitches stretched and looked icky. So this time I've got a two stitch border on each side and that'll make it nicer. Also the turned heel was my first tow up turned heel and it could be a bit tidier. This second sock should be perfect and that'll be the end of my experimenting because I feel like I've found THE perfect sock pattern for me. The only other thing I'd like to do is see if I could do two at a time - but I'll need someone with experience in doing two at a time heel flaps to help me the first time. I recall my first try at it - with this Koigu yarn, as a matter of fact. I got to the part where one is supposed to put gusset stitches on a holder needle and I couldn't go any farther. It was a mess. Since I know it's possible, as I say, it's the only other thing I might do to tweak the pattern. Next socks up will be lacy pink ones.

I had a super great run yesterday. Today is a rest day and Friday I'll have another easy one. It's rainy today but the forecast still is for a sunny Sunday. Fingers crossed.

No comments: