01 August, 2012

I thought my head would explode!

Yesterday morning was pretty good.  I got to talk to the golf pro who was very understanding and helpful.  I guess it's not that unusual for these things to not come together.  My guys will still be able to golf and all will be well on that end.  I'm still playing phone tag with the caterer but hopefully will get to speak to her today.  I can't imagine that they would want to do a buffet for 25 people but we'll see.  That is a big load off my mind and I was ready for my run at noon. 

Ah .... it was perfect weather!  Not too hot, but warm enough for the running skirt.  Nothing spectacular but a nice, solid run.  I got my things together for lunch and as it was cooking I was going through my email.  And then I saw it -- the email that erased all the goodness I had reaped from the run.  As a little background - every year I ask the School of Medicine and the Dental School registrars for a list of the incoming first year students with their undergraduate major.  I use this information to put together our dissection table groups so that we don't end up with more than one non-science major at a table.  The Dental School had their list to me a few days after I asked for it but the School of Medicine was much slower.  Finally, after being promised the list for a week I got an email from the admin of the registrar saying she was unable to give me that list because of FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) regulations!  I lost it.  It was all I could do to keep from going downstairs to the Dean's Office and stomping my feet.  The fact that I was in my running clothes .....  I dashed off a few emails, had a cooler head translate for me and finally I did get the list.  But really!   What next?  It is the simple idiocy of the people following regulations blindly that makes me crazy.  Some little admin who comes in and decides that I can't have the information I need to do a very simple part of my job that is for the good of the student.  Gahhhh .... I shouldn't have started thinking about it again!

Let's think of better things.  I put in a fare watcher for air fare to London and Paris in November and every week I get an email with the lowest fares listed.  And guess what?  That stupid Icelandair is ALWAYS the lowest.  It's not like it used to be when you could sometimes snatch up a bargain ... a real bargain .. if you were watching carefully.  Now it's pretty much the same with very little fluctuation.  I like their schedule, but their bare bones flights are not for me.  Maybe I will compare a couple of better airlines with them but factor in a few of their upgrades - which aren't considered upgrades on other carriers.  And then schedule will be the final deciding factor.  I'm not in any hurry.  It's just interesting.

I was planning on watching some Olympics coverage last night.  I have seen a few events, but watching alone is not very much fun.  I knew I wanted to see the swimming and gymnastics last night but the way they are doing the coverage on NBC is very annoying.  And they don't put on the really good events until the last hour which is just too late.  I get bored and sleepy watching that much TV.  However, I do believe I can get it OnDemand but only after it was shown.  I can look for it tonight or tomorrow night.  Anyway - I spend most of my time scanning the crowd, looking for a certain silver head.  So far no luck. 

I worked more on my socks while I watched synchronized diving.  Crazy sport but pretty amazing all the same.  It's noon knitting and I've got some errands after work so I drove in today and I heard on the radio that some badminton doubles teams were disqualified for trying to lose.  I need to read up on that.

Oh ... and did you notice the craziness on the web yesterday?  Yahoo mail was down for hours!  And later in the afternoon I couldn't connect to the iTunes store.  Very strange.  But now ... work!

No comments: