27 August, 2012

The end of August already!

This month flew by!  I can't believe it's the last week of August but I had better come to grips with it, hadn't I?  Next week will be super super busy, while this one will only be super busy.  It's going to be beautiful outside though, so that means I'll have lovely shorts weather to run in every afternoon.  Two more weeks until my next race.  Last week I ran the hilly route, which takes me down a 5% grade for 1 1/4 miles and then, of course, back up for the second 1 1/4 mile.  This week I'm going to go just flat and hope that my time has gotten better.  As I said, I can't be any worse than I was last year.  That's the race when my shoe laces came untied and I didn't use my music.  This year they changed the rules - the rule that 1/2 the people didn't bother following anyway - so there will be music in my ears.  I am going to tweak my training playlist a bit - make a race playlist with all pace music on it.  My training list has a few slower songs.

I did have a really great weekend.  Friday night I watched the Seahawks win their 3rd preseason game.  They are looking quite good this season ... fingers crossed.   I was knitting away on my socks.  I think I'm at the point where I start the toe decreases.  I will check tonight.  I'd like to get them finished and get the mitts cast on so I can have more football knitting ready.  I was pretty tired from work and crashed out right after the game. 

Saturday morning Tink got me up bright and early.  She was ready to go at 8 and I had a big day planned so off we went for a nice long walk in the sunshine.  It was going to be a big girlie day and it didn't disappoint.  After Tink's walk it was off to the nail salon for a mani-pedi, then groceries and lunch and another little walk.  My  massage appointment was at 2:30, to after lunch it was back to the mall to find glasses.  And I scored!  My friend Monika had suggested I check out a sale at a store I never, ever go into.  It turns out they have a wonderful department and I found frames I liked for regular glasses and sunglasses.  The sole downside is that I have to wait for two weeks to get them, but now that I have new contact lenses it's not a big deal at all.  Score!!  After that triumph I did a little shopping, browsing mostly, then went for my massage.  Oh I love a massage.  Thanks sis for the b'day present!!  You can never go wrong with a spa service.  ;-)

There was plenty of time to do laundry before I had to pick McG up at the airport, and then we went out for a quick dinner.   He wasn't feeling well anyway, so I got him settled on the couch and read in bed until I couldn't keep my eyes open.  Perfect. 

The list of chores I had for myself on Sunday was long and complicated.  I wasted a couple of hours selling ... or rather trying to sell books.  I gathered two large bags of hardbacks together and dropped them at one place while I did another errand.  When I came back he had rejected them all.  I seems that used bookstores do not want hardback fiction, especially mysteries.  Hmmmm ...  I took them to another store and got pretty  much the same story, except she took the most recent volumes.  At least they donate them so it wasn't a total loss. And I got rid of some books!  Bonus!  But the biggest bonus is that I found a book that is in fact a rare and valuable book.  I knew it was worth something but I had no idea it was quite as rare as it seems to be.  I found one on line at a bookseller in Great Britain in a far worse condition than mine for quite a nice little sum.  I am going to do some research on this.  Oh, and check more closely at a few other volumes I have on my shelves.

Much work to do here this week.  Many wonderful things to look forward to.  Maybe I can even get some knitting done this week as well!!

No comments: