08 July, 2013

A long weekend, a little scare and plenty of sunshine

It was like a little vacation in the country.  It's amazing how much of a rest one can get in just four days, isn't it?  I did take off a little early on Wednesday.  The office closed early and I headed out for a much needed manicure and pedicure and then headed out to Cottage Lake.  It was mostly a quiet evening except somewhere in earshot someone was blowing up fireworks a day early and Tink was going crazy.  She finally settled down but it took nearly an hour, poor little thing. 

Thursday was the 4th and a picnic.  The day started out cloudy - typical for Seattle - but atypically the clouds cleared up and it was gorgeous and warm.  There were quite a few people there and three dogs.  They were all getting along perfectly fine, even playing.  Then there was a scuffle.  A girl, contrary to her father's advice, put a bowl of food out for her dog, Peaches.  Tink went over to get a drink of water from the bowl next to the food and dared to sniff the food.  Peaches went crazy and attached Tinkerbell and opened up her surgery site and her eye was bleeding.  Needless to say I was NOT happy.  And very scared for Tinkerbell so that was it - the party was over for me and off we went in search of an emergency vet.  The good news is that it was just the scab that was disturbed and she seems fine.  I got some antibiotics for her and, bonus, some sedatives which did the trick for the night of the 4th and good thing too, because there were fireworks going off for a long time right outside the bedroom window.  On and on and on and on.  Obviously someone's parents weren't home.  What a mess in the street.

The rest of the weekend was lovely and warm and sunny.  Friday I got to spend time beading my shawl fringe and I finished it up on Saturday right before people came over for a BBQ.  Perfect timing.  And oh do I ever love love love this shawl!  The brass beads make a musical tinkling.  I didn't get around to taking a picture of the finished shawl last night but will do so for sure tonight.  I can't wait for an occasion to wear it.  It's too hot now.  I know I'm going to have some trouble with the fringe getting tangled up but it's totally worth it.

Since my friend McG is not having his birthday party in Las Vegas this year (and I am very happy about that) and he is instead coming to Seattle for his birthday, I am going to extend my birthday and go down to visit my sister and see her new place in Santa Monica.  I'll make reservations tomorrow - leave here on the morning of the 9th and spend the weekend and come back home on the Tuesday.  That way I'll still have a few days to play with and have my time at Thanksgiving and Christmas plus my 5 days in January in Mexico.  Yes - I'm a planner.   But who likes to run out of vacation time?  Not me.

No comments: