02 July, 2013

A real summer

What a treat to actually have the beginning of July be so nice and sunny and warm!  Well, hot actually but who's complaining?  Since I had my workout in the early morning yesterday I took advantage of the gorgeous weather and took a stroll around the campus at lunchtime.  The medicinal herb gardens are in full glory as are the roses around the fountain.  It was just perfect yesterday and I am SO so so so happy that I have gotten back into the morning running and don't have to get all hot and sweaty at lunchtime any more.  Yesterday I did finally get the hang of running on the treadmill and didn't use the hand rails.  That gives the experience a little more reality although I will have to go out and run on a path for a few times before I actually do another race.  It is a quite different experience.  Yes your legs are doing a running movement but on the dirt or path or pavement it isn't moving as well. 

I had a long list of chores and things I wanted to accomplish when I got home, number one being soaking and pinning out the Indian Feathers shawl.  But oh my was it ever hot in the apartment and after walking Tinkerbell all I wanted to do was recline and let the fan blow cool air on me.  Plus I had a load of dishes to run and dinner to make and it didn't seem like such a good idea to have the wet shawl on the floor while I was trying to do other things.  So tonight, since today is a fast day and dinner will be only a cup of soup, I will get that pinned out.  Surely it will dry over night in this heat.  I also need to pack up what few things I need for the long weekend, but that shouldn't take long.

Knitting was on my list last night but the heat made it not such a good idea.  At least not this project with the Shiraito.  Even with a fan blowing directly on my hands I wouldn't have been comfortable with that little bit of wool in my lap.  So I was idle and watched some TV, trying to catch up on the programs on my DVR.  The new season of Necessary Roughness has started so I got one episode done before I had to head to bed. 

It seems that the one fan in the kitchen blowing through is the best way to stay cool.  I had the tower fan blowing from the other direction onto the bed but it is noisy and finally woke me up when it started to squeal.  It has been getting a workout.  Tonight I'll just stick with the one and see how I do.  And then from Wednesday on I'll be in the country and it'll be only birdsong to keep me awake rather than food delivery trucks and garbage trucks.  Ahhhh ......

No comments: