20 August, 2014

Baking is science and cooking is art

I read that somewhere.  In the broadest of terms, it is right.  When one bakes the ingredients have to be measured carefully, the thing has to be cooked at a certain temperature for a certain length of time.  Once you know the basics of cooking though, you pretty much can't fail and sometimes things turn out fantastic.  That's what happened last night.  I had purchased some prawns from the fish market with the intention of making some sort of lemon-y shrimp pasta.  I looked up a few recipes but never wrote anything down.  Then I picked what was left of my basil (and now I know to nip those flowers off - thanks to Monika) and with some capers and a fresh lemon, vermouth and olive oil and butter, I made a super awesome dish.  I was very pleased with it.  I will definitely be doing that again.

I need to get back to running again soon.  I haven't been doing it since I got back from my trip!  First I got sick, then it has been too bloody hot!  Now I'm just very busy AND it's too hot.  Once the class gets going I'll be able to have more time during the day and I can go run and get on it.  I would like to race this fall at least once.  I already know I'm not going to make the Women of Wonder race this year. 

When I woke up this morning I saw that my phone had not taken a charge during the night.  While I was checking the weather and my emails before hauling myself out of bed it died.  I plugged it in while I was getting dressed and in twenty minutes it still wasn't ready!  Usually the lightening plugs work by then.  So I walked Tink and still not ready.  Thank goodness for my new watch - at least I could tell when the bus was coming!  Finally by 7:20 it was charged enough to start.  That's an hour without my phone.  Crazy.  It wasn't that many years ago that it wouldn't have been an issue.  But now ....stupid.  I had my iPad but it's Wi-Fi only and all of my media is in the Cloud.  I could have read but really the reason I like my iPhone in the morning is so that I can have music in my ears and I don't have to hear the gabble of the people on the bus.  Maybe I should make sure I've got music on my iPad from now on.

No comments: