27 August, 2007

A comedy of errors

Yikes ... back at work after a glorious week off and the morning couldn't have started out crazier. First of all I turned off my alarm and awoke 10 minutes before I should have been stumbling out the door. But I got myself in gear and made good time, dashing out the door in about 45 minutes. As I rolled my bike out of its little cupboard I was recalling what my friend said to me as we were biking Wednesday afternoon ... those words were , "Is there something wrong with your back tire"? Since I was powering up a hill at that point I wasn't going to stop and check but I looked back and it didn't look flat so I said, "No, I don't think so". I had put air in it before we had gotten going too far and indeed we only rode 11 1/2 miles. But whatever ... when I rolled it out this morning that rear tire was flat as a pancake. Dang! Already late, I just dashed inside, threw on some jeans and a top and rearranged things between my pannier and a backpack and dashed back out to the car. It was only when I was 3/4 of the way to work that I realized that I should have put the bike in the back of the car so I could take it down to be repaired after my run at lunchtime! What a DOPE!! Now I'm going to have to go back home after work and then come back down here ... crap. But I just wasn't thinking. It happens.

I had a very interesting weekend. Saturday afternoon I went out to a private island for a concert and party. By "private" I mean that it has NO PUBLIC LAND and is entirely owned by the few inhabitants. There is no regular ferry service, just a boat that you can schedule to run you out. Most of the people living there come and go by airplane. I am not kidding. It is just incredible. Since it's rather remote not many people live there full time, but a few do and one of the full time folks sets up parties and concerts every year. The venue is a saloon that reminds me of Disneyland. I stayed in a vacation home that was so grand - three floors, log cabin type with windows looking out over the water and decks and balconies ... just too much. I was traveling with the talent and crew for the event but since I wasn't actually working nor entertaining I got to be a guest. Best of both worlds. There was a little pre-show dinner given for us by some lovely people who happen to own one of the larger wineries in Washington. I got to the house and everyone is sitting around chatting and drinking wine and the host introduces himself and suggests I pour myself a glass of wine. Oooo, I love this wine!! It was lots and lots of fun.

There wasn't much knitting this weekend. I tried to knit on the little shuttle boat coming back from the island but it was too choppy and I started feeling seasick. I did ... ta da! ... finish up Isabella last night!! Woohoo! Tonight I'm going to block it so I'll take pictures after it's pinned out. And then I'll finish up the fronts of the Scoop de Jour and cast on the sleeves. I haven't decided which project to tackle next. I have so many to choose from.

And to top the weekend off I got my Ravelry invitation. I haven't yet had the time to activate it. Maybe this afternoon after I put out a few more fires.

No comments: