17 August, 2007

What a fabulous event!

Yesterday evening I went to Chateau St. Michelle winery for a wine auction and picnic. The woman who does my hair invited me to come along with her. She had been given 2 tickets by one of her clients, who runs these types of events. It was gorgeous. The Northwest Wine Society (or something like that) does a couple of very high end charity events to benefit Children's Hospital. One of them was last night and then on Saturday is the grand extravaganza event. But the one last night was just wonderful. There were more wines to taste than you could even imagine, and I've been to a few industry wine tasting events in my time. And the food .... I couldn't believe it. The cheese table alone was mind blowing -- French and Irish and Italian English and everything in between. And there were lamb chops and salmon and ... well, you name it. It was just wonderful and I had a super time. She was the designated driver but somehow got sidetracked. I think she was doing too much drinking and not enough eating. I ended up driving her back home but I was fine because I was doing plenty of chatting and eating along with the drinking. Can you tell I had a good time?

And I'm still smiling today! I have been working on a rather large project for the chairman of the department. When he first asked me 2 years ago if I could do a web site for a meeting he was in charge of in Hawaii I said sure, but that I'd probably have to go to Hawaii to make sure it all went well ... I was just being glib. But as the time has drawn closer and I've not only done the web site but planned and set up the program for the meeting, I'm gathering the abstracts and basically coordinating the whole meeting and today when he came in for a short talk about a few things and I mentioned that I might be gone around Thanksgiving he was a little dismayed and said "Aren't you coming to Hawaii?". I said I wasn't sure he was serious about that and he said oh yes he was and he was also hoping I could come a few days early to help set everything up. Oh. Okay. So it is now a fact and not just wishful thinking. Woohoo! I guess I'll have to go to Europe in January or February.

Again, no knitting content. Tonight I plan on starting some socks for my friend Michael and I'll have a whole week to do nothing but knit and goof around. I got some yarn from Elann yesterday. They are so fast! Of course, they're not far from where I live but still - I just love that about them. That and the fact that I have less than $50 to spend before I get my $50 certificate. Niccccccce.

No comments: