16 August, 2007

Disappointing peach

In my opinion, one of the sole reasons for venturing across the mountains into Eastern Washington in the summertime is the fresh fruit. Just right over the mountains in Cashmere and Wenatchee it is just one orchard after another - peaches, nectarines, pears, apples, cherries, not to mention corn and tomatoes and beans ... far as the eye can see. Little mom and pop fruit stands line the sides of the road and I was really looking forward to getting some fabulous fruit for this week. I can only assume that it was simply bad timing on our part because we couldn't find much at the fruit stands! Oh plenty of jam and honey and kitschy junk, but the fruit and vegetable selection was slim to say the least. There were huge peaches and good sized nectarines with good color, but rock hard. The cherries looked good so I bought some of those for my friend Ruth for taking care of Tink. The tomatoes were ripe and I got a couple of those and a few rock hard nectarines and peaches, figuring I could ripen them up in a bowl on the table. Yesterday evening one of the peaches and one of the nectarines felt ripe so I popped them in the fridge and now am eating the peach. And hmmmm .... not sweet. The texture is good but the flavor is not what I was hoping for. It could have used a few more days on the tree is what I'm thinking.

The weather has taken a strange turn for the worse and wouldn't you just know it! I have been invited to a party this evening at a winery -- a gourmet picnic and wine auction. The forecast is for rain but I don't care. I think it'll be fun anyway. The winery is lovely and humidity makes my hair curl! It's a good thing.

I finished up a pair of socks last night! Yay me!! I finished something!! Woohoo!! I should have taken pictures for proof. I'll do it tomorrow. Mike has been bugging me to make him a pair of socks so maybe I'll do that next. He lives in Phoenix - it doesn't make sense to want some warm hand knit socks to me, but he says the floors in his house get cold in the winter so whatever. I'm happy as long as someone will actually wear what I knit for them. McG is being a much better house guest than last time, I must say. I suppose partly because he hasn't been in my house as much and he put the bed away downstairs when he left to visit his mom and sister. I think it's a case of when I make a critical remark on how he is treating me and my house he's going to be worse, and if I ignore his messes he cleans them up. Kind of immature, isn't it? Truly - some people never ever grow up.

No comments: